Some links included here may be affiliate links, meaning we may earn a small monetary bonus from referring you to them. In no way does this increase the price you pay.
If you’re looking for a great freelance business or side hustle that can make you thousands of dollars each month, this might the be the path forward for you.
Proofread Anywhere is an online course dedicated to helping others learn how to make money with proofreading. Caitlin Pyle, the course creator, has years of experience finding clients and building her own freelance proofreading business.
Table of Contents
- Is Proofread Anywhere Legit or a Scam?
- What do Proofreaders Do?
- Proofread Anywhere Review
- Who is The Proofread Anywhere Course For?
- What to Expect
- Proofreading Course Review
Is Proofread Anywhere Legit or a Scam?
Of course this question would come up – the claims seem too good to be true, but if you actually put in the work, this could be a great career for you.
With everything going on in the world right now, more people than ever are looking for a way to make money while staying in the safety and comfort of their own homes.
Proofreading is a legitimate way that people all over the world are doing just that while working from home.
Caitlin hosts a FREE introductory workshop to walk you through everything the course offers before you even need to think about enrolling as a student.
The webinar walks through 5 signs that this whole proofreading thing could be for you. Caitlin also explains how this career can literally let you make a decent income from anywhere, and how to attract clients who are ideal for you to work with. You can sign up for that workshop here.
Once you watch the workshop, you’ll be given a chance to sign up for the proofreading course if it makes sense for you.
What do Proofreaders Do?
A proofreader is someone who looks over and edits written documents, posts, articles, and books before they are fully published. Someone has to be there to catch all the mistakes and oversights of the author, and that person would be a proofreader.
Proofreading vs Editing
They’re the same right? Wrong. Proofreading is more about making sure the sentences are spelled correctly, make grammatical sense, etc. Editing can involve a lot more, such as rearranging big chunks of text, or removing certain parts that are excessive or don’t make sense in their placement.
Most of the time, this editing is done before the writing piece reaches your desk.
As a proofreader, you won’t necessarily make the same income as an editor would, but you have a very important job to do nonetheless.
Skills a Proofreader Needs
A proofreader needs to have attention to detail, good spelling and grammar, and the ability to find mistakes in someone else work.
What Kind of Jobs Can Proofreading Help You Get?
A lot of students say they get jobs proofreading books, online course material, website content, blog posts, college essays, email newsletters, and all kinds of other documents you can imagine. With the transcript proofreading option, students can also become court reporters and do transcript proofreading.
As more and more businesses come online, they’re going to need help with proofreading their content, and the Proofread Anywhere course can help you get up and running with a proofreading business.
Proofread Anywhere Review
There are two main options:
1. General Proofreading Course
The general proofreading course is the main offering that most people sign up for. This is where Caitlin walks you through how to be a great proofreader, build a business around this work and be successful.
Here is an overview of the General Proofreading Course curriculum:
- Module 1: Introduction to General Proofreading
- What is proofreading, and what the difference between copyediting and proofreading is
- Module 2: Successful Proofreader Mindset Workshop
- Niches you can get into and terms you need to understand as a proofreader
- Module 3: Proofreading Basics
- Worksheets for helping with grammar and punctuation
- Test what you’ve learned with a vocabulary quiz
- Module 4: Proofreading Methods & Practice
- Tips for proofreading in Microsoft Word, Google Docs and iAnnotate
- 40 practice essays to help you improve your skills
- Module 5: Turning Proofreading Into A Business
- Setting up a website for proofreading (this is EASY)
- Deciding on your rates so you get paid well for your work
- Module 6: Finding Clients & Jobs
- Client attraction methods you can use to get clients
- Module 7: Your Proofreading Workflow
- How to provide your clients a great service and ways to get repeat clients
- Module 8: Freelancer Life, and how to get the most of it
- Confidence boosting tips for freelancing
- Module 9: Wrap Up – Everything You’ve Learned
- Getting past imposter syndrome
She also throws in SIX extra bonuses for her students:
- Bonus 1: Handbook of Commonly Misused Words
- Bonus 2: UltimateFreelancer Tax Guide
- Bonus 3: The Mindset Mastery Guide
- Bonus 4: Mindset Shifts for Goal-Crushing Confidence
- Super Bonus 1: The First Level of the Transcript Proofreading Course
- Super Bonus 2: Access to the entire Money Mindset Transformation workshop & workbook
2. Transcript Proofreading Course
With transcript proofreading, you’re going to get more technical understanding of how this works, which could lead to more consistent and repeat clients. However, you do need to be ready for the work to be a little more challenging.
Here is an overview of the Transcript Proofreading Course curriculum:
Module 1: Introduction to Transcript Proofreading
- Better understand the role of a court reporters and the court reporting industry
- The skills needed to do well as a transcript proofreader
Module 2: The Nuts and Bolts of Transcripts
- Learn vocabulary you’ll see in proceedings, depositions, hearings, trials as well as medical, insurance, litigation and other topic areas.
- Become well-versed in transcript-specific punctation and commonly misused or misspelled words and phrases
Module 3 & 4: Four Methods for Marking Up Transcripts
Module 5: Simulation Transcripts
- 50 simulation transcripts to test your knowledge
<a href=”https://learn.proofreadanywhere.com/automated-webinar-funnel-template?affiliate_id=2471131″><img src=”//learn.proofreadanywhere.com/hosted/images/62/181af0c02511e8a5945bd4a8f83d7c/1.png” width=”375″ height=”” class=”affIMGURL”></a>
Who is The Proofread Anywhere Course For?
Proofreading is great for someone who is great at finding mistakes in writing, and have great attention to detail.
Aside from that, you’re going to be running your own business/side hustle, so you will need to be able to manage multiple deadlines and make sure you get paid on time. Those things can all be taught, but the willingness to learn is really what’s at play here.
If you have those skills, have the time to go through the course, and think that being your own boss sounds awesome, then Proofread Anywhere is for you.
What to Expect
You’re going to need to put in the work. If you are expecting to just sign up for the course and magically know everything after watching a few videos, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.
If you’re looking for a great way to get into the world of freelancing, and are ready to put some skin in the game in order to create a great revenue stream for yourself.
The course also comes with a Facebook Group that is super helpful and a great place to ask your fellow proofreaders questions. You’ll be able to login and take the classes from any device (including an iPad).
The Ignite option of the course is the main level of access, but you can also get a hand-graded exam, certificate of completion and be listed in the Self-Publishing School (SPS) Preferred Outsourcer Rolodex.
You also get access to a separate marketing mastermind group that was built for Proofread Anywhere General Proofreaders with verified skills.
These two additional bonus features are great for getting new customers and building your freelance business.
The main payment option is a paid in full plan, but there is a payment plan you can choose so you can pay for the training over a few months.
With the course, you get lifetime access to the course and can take it at your own pace. You can watch the lessons on a computer, phone or even iPad or tablet.
Proofreading Course Review
If you’re looking for a course on how to become a proofreader and improve your proofreading skills, this is the one for you. Caitlin Pyle has hundreds (probably thousands at this point) of testimonials from happy students who are now making extra income ever month with proofreading.
The course material is excellent and from someone who has extensive experience in the industry as a proofreader.